Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Beachbody Ultimate Reset Day 17 - Hitting a Wall

Day 17. Today I hit my wall.

I'm tired of eating just fruit for breakfast.
I'm tired of eating a salad. Every. Day. For. Lunch.

And I'm the one who was vegan BEFORE the reset even started!

Week 3 has been the toughest for me. There was a point today that I wanted to throw the towel in, leave work, drive to Starbucks get a iced latte, and then drive over to my favorite vegan pizza place downtown. But to do that would be throwing away all my efforts of the last 2+ weeks. I don't want this post to be completely negative. Today I learned a lesson of balance.

My motto I repeat to myself when I have these urges is 'keep strong and keep moving on'. I feel like that may be a quote, or perhaps a mix of quotes, but it works for me. It reminds me of how far I have come on this cleanse. How much I have improved my health, even in a short period of time. No one ever said it would be easy. In recent memory, this is one of the hardest things I have done mentally. A great deal more self-control is required that I imagined.

It's hard when your roommate is cooking pasta and you just want a little bowl to yourself.

It's hard when your whole family is enjoying cupcakes & coffee for mother's day and you are sucking down herbal tea.

It's hard when it seems like every person at work is ordering french fries and you are stabbing your fork at - wait for it - a salad!

It's in these moments I have to center myself and collect my thoughts and remind myself the things I've learned through this process. To listen to my body and what it needs (lately - sleep!). To appreciate the flavor and completeness of food in its simple, whole form. And to balance.

I miss playing around with recipes to make them vegan. There is such a vast variety of things to eat (I see about 20 vegan cookbooks from where I sit right now) and I feel so limited on this plan.It is encouraging to see people on the message boards want to adapt a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle after the cleanse is complete. I hope they seek out resources to keep their kitchen lively & entertaining. There is so much potential in the world of vegan eats and I hope they don't get stuck in the rut I feel I am right now. Weeks 1 & 2 were easy; there were new recipes and I felt like I was actually cooking things. Not like now where I  just steam a huge pot of broccoli and roast an entire squash and call it a meal.

Day 17. 4 more days of the reset to go. I  have heard some people hit their wall on days 10 or 11, so I am grateful that at least mine came later. I took a long walk today, to clear my thoughts, get out of the house for a bit, and just be free. It was quite therapeutic :)

If you are on this journey with me or simply reading along, I encourage you to 'keep strong and keep moving on' whenever you hit a roadblock in life. The greatest rewards in life often come through hard work and perseverance. In the end, I know the effort will pay off!

2 comments:

  1. These are the days when you need an accountability partner or support group to keep pushing through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My coach set up a Facebook support group for 4 of us going through the Reset together. It was definitely a HUGE help on days like this, and I reccommend that anyone doing the Reset to not go at it alone! After the Reset we all commented how at some point we would have thrown in the towel if we had been going at it alone. Support groups work!!

      Delete