Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Splurge Calories

Let's talk 'diets' for a minute. First off, I advocate lifestyle changes as opposed to fad diets. Think 'going vegetarian' or 'cutting out processed foods' as opposed to 'Atkins' or 'Nutrisystem'. Diets always made me feel constricted which just made me want to rebel agaisnt the diet!

It takes time to learn what works for you. For me, it is having a certain calorie limit each day, and trying to maintain a good balance of carbs, fat, and protein. Even when you figure out what fuels you well and keeps you healthy, who doesn't like a treat from time to time? For some people it is a "cheat meal" once a week, for others it is a piece of chocolate or glass of wine each night. For me, it is what I call splurge calories!

Each day I allot 100-150 calories of my calorie limit to what I call "splurge calories". Some days, I just want some pasta with my lunch. Some days, I just want an iced latte after work! Planning these calories ahead of time allows me to enjoy my little splurges, without blowing my calorie limit for the day! And if I don't have a workout planned for the day, the splurge calories go away! It helps to not deny yourself of the things you enjoy - plan for them - and you won't overindulge later.

There you have it, splurge calories! How will you spend yours? Let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Very good topic. If people don't indulge here and there, they will likely not be able to keep up a regular healthy diet. I guess I can't say that I have specific things upon which I spend my "splurge calories," because I like so much stuff. It could be something as simple as a slice of toast with cinnamon and sugar to something as decadent as a piece of rich chocolate cake or a DQ Blizzard, but the key is to have the more indulgent things more rarely, really keeping them as they are supposed to be: a very occasional treat and by no means normal. Also, it's a good tactic like you mentioned to only have them on days you exercise. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete